Welcome to Episode 63 of Speculate! The Podcast for Writers, Readers and Fans. In this episode we continue our triptych of shows on Joe Abercrombie‘s Red Country with an interview of the author himself, who confesses his early love for role playing games, his desire for something more out of his epic fantasy (specifically: grit, emotional range and humor), and his investment in the world he’s built and in which he wants to remain. Joe’s got a lot of interesting things to say about the usual parameters of epic fantasy, and this was a fun interview to conduct. If you like what you hear, don’t forget to check back next week when we’ll conclude our triptych with a discussion of a few of the more notable writing techniques used in Red Country. Until then, thanks as always for listening to the show, and please continue to spread the word!
Leave a Reply
- Episode 154 of Speculate!–Roundtable Discussion with Aaron Rosenberg and Lawrence Schoen
- Episode 152 of Speculate!–Katherine Addison Author Discussion
- Capsule 1 — Review of The Death House & Interview with Sarah Pinborough
- Episode 151 of Speculate!–Katherine Addison Novel Review (The Goblin Emperor)
- Episode 150 of Speculate!–Roundtable Discussion with Elizabeth Bear and Daryl Gregory
- Episode 149 of Speculate! — Roundtable Discussion about SerialBox Publishing with Max Gladstone, Ellen Kushner, and Julian Yap
- Jan 6 - Reader Response, The Goblin Emperor
- Jan 13 - Interview with Katherine Addison
- Jan 20 - Writing Technique, The Goblin Emperor
Please support us!
We love bringing you the shows that we do, and if you enjoy them too, we hope you'll consider backing us through our Patreon page. Patreon is a great content creator website that allows you to support the content creators you love at a price that fits your budget. We have three backing levels, and you can change or drop at any time! Take a look at our Patreon page for more information, plus a video where we talk about what we're doing and hope to do with the funds.
The current banner art, Gone in Smoke, is provided courtesy of Titusboy25.