Welcome to Episode 63 of Speculate! The Podcast for Writers, Readers and Fans. In this episode we continue our triptych of shows on Joe Abercrombie‘s Red Country with an interview of the author himself, who confesses his early love for role playing games, his desire for something more out of his epic fantasy (specifically: grit, emotional range and humor), and his investment in the world he’s built and in which he wants to remain. Joe’s got a lot of interesting things to say about the usual parameters of epic fantasy, and this was a fun interview to conduct. If you like what you hear, don’t forget to check back next week when we’ll conclude our triptych with a discussion of a few of the more notable writing techniques used in Red Country. Until then, thanks as always for listening to the show, and please continue to spread the word!
Leave a Reply
- Episode 100 of Speculate! — Garth Nix and Sean Williams Writing Discussion
- Episode 99 of Speculate! — Garth Nix and Sean Williams Author Discussion
- Episode 98 of Speculate! — Garth Nix and Sean Williams Novel Review (Troubletwisters)
- Episode 97 of Speculate! — Interview with Wesley Chu
- Episode 96 of Speculate! — Interview with Mike Selinker
- Episode 95 of Speculate! — Interview with Myke Cole
26 monkeys Aliette de Bodard Amal El-Mohtar Angry Robot Apex Arab/Muslim Issue Beneath Ceaseless Skies Brenda Cooper DAW Books Dungeons and Dragons ecopunk Gen Con Hugo Ian McDonald James Patrick Kelly Joe Abercrombie John Hornor Jacobs Kickstarter Kij Johnson Laird Barron Mark Hodder Megan Lindholm Michael Swanwick Myke Cole N.K. Jemisin Night Shade Books Pamela K. Taylor Patrick Rothfuss Paul Genesse Ponies Pyr Red Country Robin Hobb Rob Ziegler Ross Lockhart Saladin Ahmed Scott Lynch Spar steampunk The Book of Cthulhu The Dervish House The Lies of Locke Lamora The Strange Affair of Spring Heeled Jack Throne of the Crescent Moon Wellspring Worldcon
The current banner art, Gone in Smoke, is provided courtesy of Titusboy25.