Welcome to Episode 63 of Speculate! The Podcast for Writers, Readers and Fans. In this episode we continue our triptych of shows on Joe Abercrombie‘s Red Country with an interview of the author himself, who confesses his early love for role playing games, his desire for something more out of his epic fantasy (specifically: grit, emotional range and humor), and his investment in the world he’s built and in which he wants to remain. Joe’s got a lot of interesting things to say about the usual parameters of epic fantasy, and this was a fun interview to conduct. If you like what you hear, don’t forget to check back next week when we’ll conclude our triptych with a discussion of a few of the more notable writing techniques used in Red Country. Until then, thanks as always for listening to the show, and please continue to spread the word!
Leave a Reply
- Episode 161 of Speculate!–Aliette de Bodard Novel Review (The House of Shattered Wings)
- Episode 160 of Speculate!–Roundtable Discussion with Patrick Rothfuss
- Episode 159 of Speculate!–Roundtable Discussion with Monte Cook, Shanna Germain, and Patrick Rothfuss
- Episode 157 of Speculate!–Emmi Itaranta Author Discussion
- Episode 156 of Speculate!–Emmi Itaranta Novel Review (Memory of Water)
- Episode 155 of Speculate!–Roundtable Discussion with Colin McComb and George Ziets
- Jan 6 - Reader Response, The Goblin Emperor
- Jan 13 - Interview with Katherine Addison
- Jan 20 - Writing Technique, The Goblin Emperor
Please support us!
We love bringing you the shows that we do, and if you enjoy them too, we hope you'll consider backing us through our Patreon page. Patreon is a great content creator website that allows you to support the content creators you love at a price that fits your budget. We have three backing levels, and you can change or drop at any time! Take a look at our Patreon page for more information, plus a video where we talk about what we're doing and hope to do with the funds.
The current banner art, Gone in Smoke, is provided courtesy of Titusboy25.